Most of us, both men and women, spend no end of hours removing unwanted hair. Think about it – how many hours a week do you spend on tedious tasks like shaving your legs or face? How often do you have to schedule (painful) wax sessions? Have you ever felt self-conscious at the beach from an untrimmed bikini line or hairy back? Do you have to deal with razor burns, razor nicks, or red bumps and ingrown hairs? Wouldn’t it be nice not to deal with all this anymore? The answer is laser hair removal! Laser hair removal is one of the most common cosmetic procedures performed today, and it’s the most effective way to remove unwanted hair for good. In this post, we will talk about laser hair removal, how it works, and its benefits for long-lasting hair reduction.
What is laser hair removal? How does it work?
Laser hair removal is a treatment used to remove hair from a desired area. It uses a powerful laser to emit highly concentrated light into the hair follicles during the active growth stage of the hair. This process targets the pigment (melanin) in each hair. The pigment in the hair absorbs the light, and this light source heats and destroys the hair follicles and inhibits or delays future growth. The surrounding skin is left undamaged by the procedure. Multiple treatments are usually required for long-lasting results.
Is it painful?
This largely varies by individual. The sensations felt during laser hair removal are often compared to little pinches or feeling snapped by a rubber band. While uncomfortable, most clients say the process is much less painful than waxing, especially for sensitive areas such as the bikini line.
Which areas of the body can you receive laser hair removal?
Anywhere! If you have unwanted hair anywhere on your body, you can use laser hair removal treatment to do it. Some common areas include the legs, arms, underarms, back, and bikini area. The face is also a popular area for laser hair removal for both men and women, including the upper lip, chin, cheeks, brows, ears, sideburns, or neck.
What are some benefits of laser hair removal?
Laser hair removal provides a wide range of benefits. Let’s look at a few:
- Saves you time – This is arguably the largest benefit of laser hair removal. No more time-consuming hair removal chores like shaving, waxing, or plucking, giving you more freedom to spend your precious time on other things.
- No more razor bumps – The constant use of razors can leave you with sore red bumps and rashes or cuts that can hurt, bleed, and leave scars on your skin.
- No more ingrown hairs – Shaving and waxing can cause unsightly ingrown hairs that can hurt, itch, or inflame.
- Safety – When performed by a professional, laser hair removal is a safe, easy procedure for all skin and hair types and can be used by both men and women.
- Confidence – Smooth, silky, hair-free skin can make you more confident. You’ll never have to feel nervous heading out the door if you haven’t shaved that morning or missed your last wax appointment.
- Long-lasting results – Say goodbye to unwanted hair for good!
- Low risk of side effects – You may experience some redness or irritation after the procedure, but this usually subsides after 24 hours.
- Saves money – While the initial treatments are an investment, consider the money you regularly spend on razors, shaving creams, waxing appointments, or trips to the salon. Overall, laser hair removal may end up being more cost-efficient.
- Quick treatment – Procedure time will vary depending on the size of the area for hair removal, but even the largest areas, such as the legs or back, will only take about an hour. Smaller areas like the face or armpits may only take a few minutes!
What should I expect during the procedure?
Hair growth occurs in cycles, and scheduling your laser hair removal appointments is important. A laser hair removal treatment is most effective during the active hair growth (or anagen) stage. It’s recommended to avoid waxing or plucking the area for 4-6 weeks before treatment. Shaving is fine as long as the hair follicles stay intact, as this is the target of the treatment. Before treatment, you may be allowed to use a topical anesthetic to reduce any discomfort during the procedure, particularly if your hair is removed in a sensitive area such as the bikini line. You will be given eye protection for your safety. A cool gel or cooling device may be applied to protect the skin and minimize side effects. During the laser hair removal process, light pulses will be emitted to the desired area, and you may feel discomfort. Any redness or soreness should subside within a few hours.
How many treatments will I need?
On average, between four and six treatments will be needed, but this varies by individual. Treatments will be scheduled a few weeks apart, depending on the treatment area. In areas where the hair grows the fastest, such as the face, treatments may be anywhere from 4-8 weeks apart. In areas where the hair grows the slowest, such as the back, treatments may be anywhere from 12-16 weeks apart. Results are semi-permanent. Most clients see long-lasting results after their initial treatments, being completely hair-free from months to years. Any hair that does grow back is generally less noticeable, but you may want to schedule maintenance treatments occasionally.
Is it safe?
You should only ever receive laser hair removal from a certified medical professional. When performed by a trained professional, this is a safe, non-invasive procedure. The doctors at EverYoung Skin & Laser Clinic provide the highest safety standards for men or women looking to remove unwanted hair.
Are you ready to ditch the razors for good? Or say goodbye to planning regular waxing
sessions around your busy schedule? If you have questions or concerns about laser hair removal, don’t hesitate to contact us today.